Lighthouse Property Insurance Company

Updated: 6/14/2022

Lighthouse Property Insurance Company was declared insolvent by the Louisiana courts on 4/28/22.  The Louisiana Insurance Regulators have appointed a Receiver to handle the affairs of the insolvent company.  The NC Insurance Guaranty Association’s Board has activated this insolvency.  We will now begin taking the necessary steps to obtain policies and claim files so that we can begin our review of the claims. 

This process takes time so we are asking for your patience while we wait for all claim files to arrive, and review the status of the claims.  Generally, the Receiver will send out open loss claims first and then begin preparing Unearned Premium Claims for those whose policies were cancelled due to the insolvency. Please be advised that at this time, we have not received any Return Premium claims. 

Here are some Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Unearned Premium Claims:

Q: Will unused premium be refunded by Lighthouse Insurance, or will they be refunded by the NCIGA?


Q:  Do I need to do anything to receive my refund?

A: The Receiver will calculate return premium amounts and send those to the NCIGA for payment.  You do not need to do anything. 

Q: Will the policyholder be refunded 100% of what is owed back to them for this unused/prorated premium?

A: The policyholder refund will include unused/prorated premium. The NC Guaranty Act requires that Unearned Premium Claims be at least $50. The maximum the NCIGA will pay on these claims is $10,000.

Q: How long will it take for me to receive my funds?

A: Generally, Guaranty Associations do not receive UEP claims for a minimum of 30 days post insolvency but the length of time varies by Insolvency.

Q: Will Return Premium payments be paid via check or can they be electronically deposited in their account?

A: Check

Q: For Property Insurance Claims, will refunds be paid and sent to the Policyholder or to the mortgage company?

A: Generally, return premium payments are paid and sent to the Policyholder.

If you have any questions about the cancellation of your policy and how to secure a new policy, please contact your insurance agent. 

If you wish to make an inquiry to the NCIGA about a claim, please send an email to This will be the fastest way to receive a response.